There’s no doubt that Sideways makes for an entertaining two hours, but if this is the best Hollywood has to offer in 2004 — and it might be — it’s been a pretty sorry movie year.
December 2004 Archives
I liked 2002’s The Bourne Identity a lot, but I didn’t think the character/premise could sustain itself over a series. I was wrong.
As flawed as it is and even though its freshness and shock value have been diminished by imitation and time, Eyes Without a Face still works amazingly well — primal, raw, troubling, and real. Its authenticity makes it superior to 95 percent of horror movies, and it illustrates how horror operates even when it’s not terrifying.
If you’re interested in the impending “format war” for the next generation of DVD players and software (movies, music, etc.), Slate has an excellent and easy-to-understand primer.
A prediction: High-definition DVDs will flop in the marketplace.
My two sports loves are the Red Sox (since 1986) and the men’s basketball team at the University of Illinois (my alma mater), and together they pretty much occupy me year-round. When baseball season ends in October, it’s time for college basketball, and when the Final Four is done, opening day of baseball season is upon us.
So with the Red Sox having won the World Series and with Illinois trouncing top-ranked Wake Forest last night, the 2004-5 Culture Snob sports season — already transcendent — is starting to look even better. (We shall ignore the Washington Redskins, the object of my wife’s sports affection, for the time being. It’s better for all involved.)
Illinois will surely have some bumps in the road, but come Monday, April 4, maybe, just maybe ... . And on that same day as the national-championship game, the Red Sox kick off the 2005 baseball season against the God-Damned, Mother-Fucking Yankees.
Latest Twitter Review
- Hello! http://cycworld2013.net/ , http://www.freecialisb6pharm.com/ , http://teambuildingtreasurehunts.com/ , http://www.cialiscostb7med.com/ , http://www.cialisprofessionalb7pharm.com/ ,
- Hello! viagra deal , cialis deal , cheap generic viagra , cheap generic cialis ,
- Hello! viagra , cialis , viagra generic , cialis generic ,
- Hello! viagra , cialis , generic viagra , generic cialis ,
- Hello! cialis pills , cheap cialis , cialis without prescription , cialis , cialis dosage ,
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
Latest Box Office
- Blog > “House Servant” = Slave
- The Daily Notebook > Viennale 2014. Lineup
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > Emmy Predictions 2014: Outstanding drama series
- Burbanked > (original GIF via alxbngala)
- Notebook on Cities and Culture > Notebook on Cities and Culture S4E51: “Just” Mexican Food with Javier Cabral
- my new plaid pants > Michael Shannon Says What
- Slate Articles > This Never Happened
- Chicago Ex-Patriate > My Writing Process Blog Tour
- The Audient > Movies where child actors shouldn’t watch their own performances
- Observations on film art > The AMBERSONS Poster Mystery: The clincher
- Moon In The Gutter > DistribPix unleash the long awaited William Lustig ‘Billy Bagg’ Special Edition!!!
- IFC Fix: Get Yours > 9 Most Ridiculous Football Players of All Time
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > TIME IN A BOTTLE: BOYHOOD
- The Film Doctor > Nukes behind the rusty iron curtain: Mimi Leder’s The Peacemaker (1997)
- The Projectionist > Phrosties Might Not Get You As Phucked Up As You Think. This Is What’s Really Inside.
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > A Story Both Wonderful and Strange: my conversation with Brad Dukes, author of Reflections: An Oral History of Twin Peaks
- GreenCine Daily > Cruise-in’ for a Bruisin’
- Filmsquish.com - Reviews, Editorials & Insight On Film > Fargo (1996)