There’s no doubt that Sideways makes for an entertaining two hours, but if this is the best Hollywood has to offer in 2004 — and it might be — it’s been a pretty sorry movie year.
December 2004 Archives
I liked 2002’s The Bourne Identity a lot, but I didn’t think the character/premise could sustain itself over a series. I was wrong.
As flawed as it is and even though its freshness and shock value have been diminished by imitation and time, Eyes Without a Face still works amazingly well — primal, raw, troubling, and real. Its authenticity makes it superior to 95 percent of horror movies, and it illustrates how horror operates even when it’s not terrifying.
If you’re interested in the impending “format war” for the next generation of DVD players and software (movies, music, etc.), Slate has an excellent and easy-to-understand primer.
A prediction: High-definition DVDs will flop in the marketplace.
My two sports loves are the Red Sox (since 1986) and the men’s basketball team at the University of Illinois (my alma mater), and together they pretty much occupy me year-round. When baseball season ends in October, it’s time for college basketball, and when the Final Four is done, opening day of baseball season is upon us.
So with the Red Sox having won the World Series and with Illinois trouncing top-ranked Wake Forest last night, the 2004-5 Culture Snob sports season — already transcendent — is starting to look even better. (We shall ignore the Washington Redskins, the object of my wife’s sports affection, for the time being. It’s better for all involved.)
Illinois will surely have some bumps in the road, but come Monday, April 4, maybe, just maybe ... . And on that same day as the national-championship game, the Red Sox kick off the 2005 baseball season against the God-Damned, Mother-Fucking Yankees.
Latest Twitter Review
- Hello! http://viagrawithourprescription9.com/ , http://cialiswithourprescription9.com/ , http://dosage9viagra.com/ , http://dosage9cialis.com/ ,
- Dapple your dear ones with your love by sending them these magical arrangements of Flowers and make the celebration bright and beautiful. Send Flowers to...
- Hello! viagra professional , cialis super active , viagra canada , cialis canada ,
- Hello! cheap viagra tablets , cialis generic overnight state united , cheap viagra tablets , cialis generic overnight state united ,
- Hello! viagra pills , cialis pills , viagra sale , cialis sale ,
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
Latest Box Office
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > Fall TV reviews: ‘Manhattan Love Story’ & ‘A to Z’
- Blog > Curio: The Irreversible Image of Monica
- Observations on film art > The Man with a Name
- The Daily Notebook > Video of the day. Trailer for Paul Thomas Anderson’s “Inherent Vice”
- The Audient > In the name of the father
- IFC Fix: Get Yours > 15 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Apocalypto
- The Film Doctor > mediascape links
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > LEONARD MALTIN’S MOVIE GUIDE SWANSONG
- my new plaid pants > Gone Girl Gone Gone
- Slate Articles > The Boxtrolls
- Filmsquish.com - Reviews, Editorials & Insight On Film > Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)
- Notebook on Cities and Culture > S4E54: The Freedom to Be Foolish with Mark Frauenfelder
- Moon In The Gutter > The Early Films of William Lustig: THE VIOLATION OF CLAUDIA (1977)
- The Projectionist > Edelstein: The Oscars Have Thrown Me a (Winter’s) Bone
- Burbanked > Photo