There’s no doubt that Sideways makes for an entertaining two hours, but if this is the best Hollywood has to offer in 2004 — and it might be — it’s been a pretty sorry movie year.
December 2004 Archives
I liked 2002’s The Bourne Identity a lot, but I didn’t think the character/premise could sustain itself over a series. I was wrong.
As flawed as it is and even though its freshness and shock value have been diminished by imitation and time, Eyes Without a Face still works amazingly well — primal, raw, troubling, and real. Its authenticity makes it superior to 95 percent of horror movies, and it illustrates how horror operates even when it’s not terrifying.
If you’re interested in the impending “format war” for the next generation of DVD players and software (movies, music, etc.), Slate has an excellent and easy-to-understand primer.
A prediction: High-definition DVDs will flop in the marketplace.
My two sports loves are the Red Sox (since 1986) and the men’s basketball team at the University of Illinois (my alma mater), and together they pretty much occupy me year-round. When baseball season ends in October, it’s time for college basketball, and when the Final Four is done, opening day of baseball season is upon us.
So with the Red Sox having won the World Series and with Illinois trouncing top-ranked Wake Forest last night, the 2004-5 Culture Snob sports season — already transcendent — is starting to look even better. (We shall ignore the Washington Redskins, the object of my wife’s sports affection, for the time being. It’s better for all involved.)
Illinois will surely have some bumps in the road, but come Monday, April 4, maybe, just maybe ... . And on that same day as the national-championship game, the Red Sox kick off the 2005 baseball season against the God-Damned, Mother-Fucking Yankees.
Latest Twitter Review
- Article Source a viral game app is not that much difficult. kfffedecbdfeeegf
- The ritual of Raksha Bandhan, also known as Rakhi is the best way of showing your love and dedication towards your brother or sister. Send...
- Hello! generic viagra , generic cialis ,
- you are in point of fact a just right webmaster. The site loading velocity is amazing. It sort of feels that you are doing any...
- http://www.babelsoftco.com http://accountingeg.blogspot.com/ https://khairyayman74.wordpress.com/ http://babelsoftco.com/mkawlat2015.html http://www.babelsoftco.com/Mokwlat_Main.html http://arabic-html.com http://www.rokyeg.com http://www.sama-almadinah.com/khasil.html http://www.sama-almadinah.com/naklasas.html http://www.tfa2ol.com/ http://www.tfa2ol.com/khasil.html/ https://khairyayman74.wordpress.com/%D8%B4%D8%B1%D9%83%D8%A9-%D9%86%D9%82%D9%84-%D8%A7%D8%AB%D8%A7%D8%AB-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AF%D9%85%D8%A7%D9%85/
Truth and Consequences
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
- Blog > Beauty Break: “Cinema Without People”
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > Review: ‘iZombie’ - ‘Astroburger’: Devil inside?
- my new plaid pants >
- IFC Fix: Get Yours > Maron’s 11 Most Hilariously Awkward Comedian Cameos
- The Daily Notebook > Weekly Rushes. 27 May 2015
- Cinema Styles > It Was All One Big Lie
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > The Mind Reader
- The Audient > Giving out star ratings - for beer
- The Film Doctor > 8 notes on the deplorable, seductive aesthetics of Francis Ford Coppola’s The Godfather (1972)
- Observations on film art > The waning thrills of CGI
- The Seventh Art > Ellipsis #76
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > MAD MAX BEYOND FURIOUS
- Slate Articles > Brad Bird Is Not Superhuman
- JonathanRosenbaum.com > Please go to jonathanrosenbaum.net
- Moon In The Gutter > Tenfold More Wicked: Arrow Films Unleashes Walerian Borowczyk’s THE STRANGE CASE OF DR JEKYLL AND MISS OSBOURNE
- Chicago Ex-Patriate > Hobart: Photo Credits
- The Projectionist > Edelstein: The Oscars Have Thrown Me a (Winter’s) Bone
- The Bleeding Tree > Montage of heck
- GreenCine Daily > Cruise-in’ for a Bruisin’