There’s no doubt that Sideways makes for an entertaining two hours, but if this is the best Hollywood has to offer in 2004 — and it might be — it’s been a pretty sorry movie year.
December 2004 Archives
I liked 2002’s The Bourne Identity a lot, but I didn’t think the character/premise could sustain itself over a series. I was wrong.
As flawed as it is and even though its freshness and shock value have been diminished by imitation and time, Eyes Without a Face still works amazingly well — primal, raw, troubling, and real. Its authenticity makes it superior to 95 percent of horror movies, and it illustrates how horror operates even when it’s not terrifying.
If you’re interested in the impending “format war” for the next generation of DVD players and software (movies, music, etc.), Slate has an excellent and easy-to-understand primer.
A prediction: High-definition DVDs will flop in the marketplace.
My two sports loves are the Red Sox (since 1986) and the men’s basketball team at the University of Illinois (my alma mater), and together they pretty much occupy me year-round. When baseball season ends in October, it’s time for college basketball, and when the Final Four is done, opening day of baseball season is upon us.
So with the Red Sox having won the World Series and with Illinois trouncing top-ranked Wake Forest last night, the 2004-5 Culture Snob sports season — already transcendent — is starting to look even better. (We shall ignore the Washington Redskins, the object of my wife’s sports affection, for the time being. It’s better for all involved.)
Illinois will surely have some bumps in the road, but come Monday, April 4, maybe, just maybe ... . And on that same day as the national-championship game, the Red Sox kick off the 2005 baseball season against the God-Damned, Mother-Fucking Yankees.
Latest Twitter Review
- The awaited Jacob/MIB episode of ‘Lost’ was penned by series bigwigs but merely underlined already-obvious moral relativism. Gallingly dull.
> More Twitter updates
- Share this excitement and fun to strengthen the bond between the brother and sister and Send Rakhi to Canada. Show your beloved brother how...
- شركة الصفرات للتنظيف شركة الصفرات لنقل العفش بالرياض
- The ritual of Raksha Bandhan, also known as Rakhi is the best way of showing your love and dedication towards your brother or sister. Send...
- viagra For Women Available In India in Edinburg . This abrupt staff was transported in loss of philip j, use of cialis...
- Hello! viagra side effects , cialis side effects , purchase viagra , purchase cialis ,
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
- Blog > Review: Magic Mike XXL
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > WILD, DANGEROUS IMPERFECT GRANDEUR: ELEVEN DOUBLE FEATURES ABOUT AMERICA
- The Audient > When “shit” means “damn”
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > Exclusive: ‘Strike Back’ heroes won’t go quietly in final season trailer & poster
- my new plaid pants > Happy Independence
- Observations on film art > Il Cinema Ritrovato: The advantages of leaving home
- Slate Articles > I Said Go, Go, Go
- IFC Fix: Get Yours > Comic Book Fan Scott Aukerman Wrote About the Hulk’s Psychiatrist For Marvel
- Moon In The Gutter > Jess Franco’s THE SADISTIC BARON VON KLAUS (1962)
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > Neon Genesis Evangelion, Episode 8 - “Asuka Strikes!”
- The Daily Notebook > Now Playing: Doug Aitken’s “Station to Station”, featuring Ed Ruscha, Beck, Thurston Moore
- The Film Doctor > summer links
- The Seventh Art > Book Nook: The New Cinephilia
- Cinema Styles > Robert E. Lee, the Confederacy, and the Whitewashing of the Civil War
- Burbanked > Probably too late for me to get this for Father’s Day…
- The Projectionist > Phrosties Might Not Get You As Phucked Up As You Think. This Is What’s Really Inside.