There’s no doubt that Sideways makes for an entertaining two hours, but if this is the best Hollywood has to offer in 2004 — and it might be — it’s been a pretty sorry movie year.
December 2004 Archives
I liked 2002’s The Bourne Identity a lot, but I didn’t think the character/premise could sustain itself over a series. I was wrong.
As flawed as it is and even though its freshness and shock value have been diminished by imitation and time, Eyes Without a Face still works amazingly well — primal, raw, troubling, and real. Its authenticity makes it superior to 95 percent of horror movies, and it illustrates how horror operates even when it’s not terrifying.
If you’re interested in the impending “format war” for the next generation of DVD players and software (movies, music, etc.), Slate has an excellent and easy-to-understand primer.
A prediction: High-definition DVDs will flop in the marketplace.
My two sports loves are the Red Sox (since 1986) and the men’s basketball team at the University of Illinois (my alma mater), and together they pretty much occupy me year-round. When baseball season ends in October, it’s time for college basketball, and when the Final Four is done, opening day of baseball season is upon us.
So with the Red Sox having won the World Series and with Illinois trouncing top-ranked Wake Forest last night, the 2004-5 Culture Snob sports season — already transcendent — is starting to look even better. (We shall ignore the Washington Redskins, the object of my wife’s sports affection, for the time being. It’s better for all involved.)
Illinois will surely have some bumps in the road, but come Monday, April 4, maybe, just maybe ... . And on that same day as the national-championship game, the Red Sox kick off the 2005 baseball season against the God-Damned, Mother-Fucking Yankees.
Latest Twitter Review
- Hello! viagra professional , cialis sample , order cialis , purchase viagra , buy cialis ,
- Hello! herbal viagra , buy cialis softtabs , buy cialis softtabs , herbal viagra , buy cialis softtabs ,
- Hello! http://viagra11professional.com/ , http://cialissuperactive11.com/ , http://www.viagra11samle.com/ , http://cialis11samle.com/ ,
- Hello! viagra professional , cialis super active , viagra sample , cialis sample ,
- Hello! canadian viagra , canadian cialis , viagra fast delivery , cialis fast delivery ,
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
Latest Box Office
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > Review: ‘The Affair’ - ‘Episode 7’
- Blog > Review: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
- The Film Doctor > “Because survival is insufficient”: Emily St. John Mandel’s Station Eleven
- my new plaid pants > So This Made Me Cry
- Observations on film art > What-if movies: Forking paths in the drawing room
- Notebook on Cities and Culture > Korea Tour: De-Terriblization with Mark Russell
- The Daily Notebook > Movie Poster of the Week: The films of Jean Grémillon
- Slate Articles > Love Among the Ruins
- Burbanked > My 2014 Movies: Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975, on DVD,...
- IFC Fix: Get Yours > 9 Most Awkward Family Dinners in Movies
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > STATE OF THE BLOG: SLIFR’s 10th BIRTHDAY
- Filmsquish.com - Reviews, Editorials & Insight On Film > Casino Royale Review
- The Audient > A hiatus of unknown duration
- The Bleeding Tree > Spotify and the death of Rock
- The Projectionist > Edelstein: The Oscars Have Thrown Me a (Winter’s) Bone