There’s no doubt that Sideways makes for an entertaining two hours, but if this is the best Hollywood has to offer in 2004 — and it might be — it’s been a pretty sorry movie year.
December 2004 Archives
I liked 2002’s The Bourne Identity a lot, but I didn’t think the character/premise could sustain itself over a series. I was wrong.
As flawed as it is and even though its freshness and shock value have been diminished by imitation and time, Eyes Without a Face still works amazingly well — primal, raw, troubling, and real. Its authenticity makes it superior to 95 percent of horror movies, and it illustrates how horror operates even when it’s not terrifying.
If you’re interested in the impending “format war” for the next generation of DVD players and software (movies, music, etc.), Slate has an excellent and easy-to-understand primer.
A prediction: High-definition DVDs will flop in the marketplace.
My two sports loves are the Red Sox (since 1986) and the men’s basketball team at the University of Illinois (my alma mater), and together they pretty much occupy me year-round. When baseball season ends in October, it’s time for college basketball, and when the Final Four is done, opening day of baseball season is upon us.
So with the Red Sox having won the World Series and with Illinois trouncing top-ranked Wake Forest last night, the 2004-5 Culture Snob sports season — already transcendent — is starting to look even better. (We shall ignore the Washington Redskins, the object of my wife’s sports affection, for the time being. It’s better for all involved.)
Illinois will surely have some bumps in the road, but come Monday, April 4, maybe, just maybe ... . And on that same day as the national-championship game, the Red Sox kick off the 2005 baseball season against the God-Damned, Mother-Fucking Yankees.
Latest Twitter Review
- Polanski’s obtuse ‘Repulsion’ mines fear of rape, men, abandonment. 1 great shock & effective spatial horror, but male POV leers and muddles
> More Twitter updates
- شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالاحساء كشف تسربات المياه بالاحساء شركة عزل اسطح بالاحساء ...
- خدمات شركة تنظيف قصور تقدم باعلي مستوي من الجودة والكفاءه التي يتميز بها العاملين بها للاتصال علي: 0550074416 او عبر: http://goo.gl/O4VrgB
- يوجد الان لدي شركة مزايا مبيد مخصوص لمكافة النمل والتخلص منه وعدم ظهوره مره اخري اطلبي الان خدمات مكافحة النمل للاتصال علي : 02-6650399...
- شركة كشف تسربات المياه شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض كشف تسربات المياه شركة كشف تسربات المياه شركة كشف تسربات المياه...
- TAMILNADU ELECTION 2016 TAMILNADU ELECTION 2016 TAMILNADU ELECTION 2016 TAMILNADU ELECTION 2016 TAMILNADU ELECTION 2016 TAMILNADU ELECTION 2016
TAMILNADU ELECTION 2016
The Tell-Tale Tapes? The Trouble with Caché
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
- Blog > What could have been...
- my new plaid pants > What Animal Are You?
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > Review: The comma’s the thing as ‘Veep’ heads to ‘Nev-AD-a’
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > Citizen Kane at 75: a new video essay series
- The Daily Notebook > Movie Poster of the Week: The Lesser-Known Films of Anna Karina
- The Audient > The fine line between Captain America and The Avengers
- Chicago Ex-Patriate > “What is Possible:” ‘Why Flash Fiction Essay’ at SmokeLong Quarterly
- Burbanked > It was Pittsburgh Pirates’ legend Bill Mazeroski’s defense...
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH TCMFF-STYLE
- The Film Doctor > cafe links
- The Bleeding Tree > Prince II
- Observations on film art > Paolo Gioli, maximal minimalist
- Slate Articles > Green Room
- The Projectionist > Phrosties Might Not Get You As Phucked Up As You Think. This Is What’s Really Inside.