October 2006 Archives
In the 1985 HBO mockumentary The History of White People in America, co-writer and host Martin Mull offered the world mayonnaise-loving WASPs — suburbanites who had lost any sense of their roots, to the point that one child’s understanding of his own heritage was limited to the streets on which he and his parents had lived.
White people, the show seemed to be saying, are beyond ethnicity and culture.
Mull doesn’t see a meaningful connection between that work and his paintings, which are presently touring the country in a retrospective. The only link, he said in a recent interview, is that they reflect his childhood in Ohio. “It comes from the same vein,” he said, “the same mother lode.”
Yet they share more than just a Midwestern upbringing. The History of White People in America is the light-comic flip side to Mull’s ambiguous but loaded paintings. Both represent a tug of war over the American dream, a recognition of both its allure and its pitfalls.
It might sound like a lame excuse.
But if a man cheats on his wife, he might explain himself this way: “I couldn’t help it. My evolved psychological mechanisms made me have an affair.” And he’d be right.
David M. Buss, a psychologist at the University of Texas, has spent more than two decades studying sexual desire and behavior. And his research has led to one overarching observation: Across cultures, people’s mating strategies are universal.
Posted by Culture Snob on Thursday, October 26, 2006.
This entry features audio content: David M. Buss: Audio Interview (mp3, 9.3 MB).
Bookmark and share this entry.
You hear it and you cringe immediately. Who the fuck thought of that stupid-ass name?
“Clap Your Hands Say Yeah”? Clap your hands learn to punctuate run-on sentences assholes. Or learn to use a damned conjunction.
“Dogs Die in Hot Cars”? Public-service slogans do not a band name make.
So Culture Snob here introduces a regular feature, offering free band names to whoever wants them. The goal is create the ultimate database of potential band names, to avoid travesties such as those cited above.
That’s not to say these are any good.
The supsension of disbelief, to borrow a hackneyed maxim, is a privilege, not a right; you need to earn it.
And last year’s holiday hit The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe doesn’t.
Latest Twitter Review
- The ritual of Raksha Bandhan, also known as Rakhi is the best way of showing your love and dedication towards your brother or sister. Send...
- Hello! generic viagra , generic cialis ,
- you are in point of fact a just right webmaster. The site loading velocity is amazing. It sort of feels that you are doing any...
- http://www.babelsoftco.com http://accountingeg.blogspot.com/ https://khairyayman74.wordpress.com/ http://babelsoftco.com/mkawlat2015.html http://www.babelsoftco.com/Mokwlat_Main.html http://arabic-html.com http://www.rokyeg.com http://www.sama-almadinah.com/khasil.html http://www.sama-almadinah.com/naklasas.html http://www.tfa2ol.com/ http://www.tfa2ol.com/khasil.html/ https://khairyayman74.wordpress.com/%D8%B4%D8%B1%D9%83%D8%A9-%D9%86%D9%82%D9%84-%D8%A7%D8%AB%D8%A7%D8%AB-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AF%D9%85%D8%A7%D9%85/
Truth and Consequences
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
- The Seventh Art > Ellipsis #76
- Blog > Don’t Be Fooled by the Librarian Looks That She’s Got...
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > MAD MAX BEYOND FURIOUS
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > Firewall & Iceberg, Episode 285: Season finales & ‘Game of Thrones’ controversy
- The Daily Notebook > Cannes 2015. Day 9
- Slate Articles > Brad Bird Is Not Superhuman
- my new plaid pants > Happy Memorial Day Weekend
- IFC Fix: Get Yours > Is This Craigslist Ad for a Superman Reality Show Insane or Insanely Brilliant?
- JonathanRosenbaum.com > Please go to jonathanrosenbaum.net
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > True Detective episode 5: “The Secret Fate of All Life”
- The Audient > A deeper Separation than even I knew
- The Film Doctor > doof links
- Moon In The Gutter > Tenfold More Wicked: Arrow Films Unleashes Walerian Borowczyk’s THE STRANGE CASE OF DR JEKYLL AND MISS OSBOURNE
- Cinema Styles > Powering Back Up In 3, 2...
- Observations on film art > Nitrate days and nights
- Chicago Ex-Patriate > Hobart: Photo Credits
- The Projectionist > Edelstein: The Oscars Have Thrown Me a (Winter’s) Bone
- The Bleeding Tree > Montage of heck
- GreenCine Daily > Cruise-in’ for a Bruisin’