October 2006 Archives
In the 1985 HBO mockumentary The History of White People in America, co-writer and host Martin Mull offered the world mayonnaise-loving WASPs — suburbanites who had lost any sense of their roots, to the point that one child’s understanding of his own heritage was limited to the streets on which he and his parents had lived.
White people, the show seemed to be saying, are beyond ethnicity and culture.
Mull doesn’t see a meaningful connection between that work and his paintings, which are presently touring the country in a retrospective. The only link, he said in a recent interview, is that they reflect his childhood in Ohio. “It comes from the same vein,” he said, “the same mother lode.”
Yet they share more than just a Midwestern upbringing. The History of White People in America is the light-comic flip side to Mull’s ambiguous but loaded paintings. Both represent a tug of war over the American dream, a recognition of both its allure and its pitfalls.
It might sound like a lame excuse.
But if a man cheats on his wife, he might explain himself this way: “I couldn’t help it. My evolved psychological mechanisms made me have an affair.” And he’d be right.
David M. Buss, a psychologist at the University of Texas, has spent more than two decades studying sexual desire and behavior. And his research has led to one overarching observation: Across cultures, people’s mating strategies are universal.
Posted by Culture Snob on Thursday, October 26, 2006.
This entry features audio content: David M. Buss: Audio Interview (mp3, 9.3 MB).
Bookmark and share this entry.
You hear it and you cringe immediately. Who the fuck thought of that stupid-ass name?
“Clap Your Hands Say Yeah”? Clap your hands learn to punctuate run-on sentences assholes. Or learn to use a damned conjunction.
“Dogs Die in Hot Cars”? Public-service slogans do not a band name make.
So Culture Snob here introduces a regular feature, offering free band names to whoever wants them. The goal is create the ultimate database of potential band names, to avoid travesties such as those cited above.
That’s not to say these are any good.
The supsension of disbelief, to borrow a hackneyed maxim, is a privilege, not a right; you need to earn it.
And last year’s holiday hit The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe doesn’t.
Latest Twitter Review
- Hello! quik payday loan , payday cash , cialis fast delivery , cialis pills , order cialis ,
- Hello! payday cash loan , payday loan application , cialis fast delivery , payday cash , quik payday loan ,
- Hello! cheap viagra without prescription , cheap cialis without prescription , cheap viagra pills , cheap cialis pills ,
- Hello! http://cheap6cialispills.com/ , http://cheap6cialisbuy.com/ , http://www.discountcialisbuy6b.com/ , http://cialis7dosage.com/ , http://mideastmirror.com/ ,
- Hello! cialis pills , cheap cialis , cialis , cialis dosage , cialis buy ,
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
Latest Box Office
- Blog > Curio: Lily Tomlin, Movie Fan
- my new plaid pants > Sniveling Hysterical Pre-Periodic Twit
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > From John Oliver to Halle Berry: Winners and losers of summer TV 2014
- The Audient > Titanic under the volcano
- The Daily Notebook > Video of the day. Trailer for Abel Ferrara’s “Pasolini”
- The Film Doctor > text message links
- Notebook on Cities and Culture > S4E52: The Big Pond with Pete Mitchell
- IFC Fix: Get Yours > 7 Things You Didn’t Know About Ghostbusters
- Filmsquish.com - Reviews, Editorials & Insight On Film > Mirror, The (1974)
- JonathanRosenbaum.com > Please go to jonathanrosenbaum.net
- Slate Articles > Prince Addresses the Social Media Age on New Song, From One of Two New Albums
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > What a Long Strange Trip It’s Been
- Observations on film art > Zip, zero, Zeitgeist
- The Seventh Art > Signatures Of The Visible
- Burbanked > (original GIF via alxbngala)
- Chicago Ex-Patriate > My Writing Process Blog Tour
- Moon In The Gutter > DistribPix unleash the long awaited William Lustig ‘Billy Bagg’ Special Edition!!!
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > TIME IN A BOTTLE: BOYHOOD
- The Projectionist > Phrosties Might Not Get You As Phucked Up As You Think. This Is What’s Really Inside.
- GreenCine Daily > Cruise-in’ for a Bruisin’