October 2006 Archives
In the 1985 HBO mockumentary The History of White People in America, co-writer and host Martin Mull offered the world mayonnaise-loving WASPs — suburbanites who had lost any sense of their roots, to the point that one child’s understanding of his own heritage was limited to the streets on which he and his parents had lived.
White people, the show seemed to be saying, are beyond ethnicity and culture.
Mull doesn’t see a meaningful connection between that work and his paintings, which are presently touring the country in a retrospective. The only link, he said in a recent interview, is that they reflect his childhood in Ohio. “It comes from the same vein,” he said, “the same mother lode.”
Yet they share more than just a Midwestern upbringing. The History of White People in America is the light-comic flip side to Mull’s ambiguous but loaded paintings. Both represent a tug of war over the American dream, a recognition of both its allure and its pitfalls.
It might sound like a lame excuse.
But if a man cheats on his wife, he might explain himself this way: “I couldn’t help it. My evolved psychological mechanisms made me have an affair.” And he’d be right.
David M. Buss, a psychologist at the University of Texas, has spent more than two decades studying sexual desire and behavior. And his research has led to one overarching observation: Across cultures, people’s mating strategies are universal.
Posted by Culture Snob on Thursday, October 26, 2006.
This entry features audio content: David M. Buss: Audio Interview (mp3, 9.3 MB).
Bookmark and share this entry.
You hear it and you cringe immediately. Who the fuck thought of that stupid-ass name?
“Clap Your Hands Say Yeah”? Clap your hands learn to punctuate run-on sentences assholes. Or learn to use a damned conjunction.
“Dogs Die in Hot Cars”? Public-service slogans do not a band name make.
So Culture Snob here introduces a regular feature, offering free band names to whoever wants them. The goal is create the ultimate database of potential band names, to avoid travesties such as those cited above.
That’s not to say these are any good.
The supsension of disbelief, to borrow a hackneyed maxim, is a privilege, not a right; you need to earn it.
And last year’s holiday hit The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe doesn’t.
Latest Twitter Review
- The awaited Jacob/MIB episode of ‘Lost’ was penned by series bigwigs but merely underlined already-obvious moral relativism. Gallingly dull.
> More Twitter updates
- The market for Cialis is huge - following the runaway success of order viagra. Viagra versus cialis professional, generic for cialis tadalafil...
- The market for Cialis is huge - following the runaway success of viagra. Viagra versus cialis professional, generic for cialis tadalafil .
- good site http://www.abozahrah.com/ http://www.abozahrah.com/2015/06/kshf-tasrbaat.html http://www.abozahrah.com/2015/06/kshf-tasrbaat2.html http://www.abozahrah.com/2015/06/3azl-jedah.html
- شركة تنظيف بالرياض شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض erkn
Magnolia and Meaning
Magnolia and Meaning
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
- Blog > 9 Questions: DVD & BluRay Releases
- my new plaid pants > Do Dump or Marry: Heartbreak Hotel
- The Daily Notebook > Chantal Akerman, 1950 - 2015
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > Review: Michaela Watkins shines in Hulu’s ‘Casual’
- The Film Doctor > cynosure links
- Burbanked > Today in October’s Weird Creepy Crap.(original image via...
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > Montage: Symphony of the Devils (video)
- The Audient > Preparations for Middle Earth
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > MR. DADIER’S JUVIE-READY, TOUGH-AS-NAILS BLACKBOARD-BUSTIN’ FALL TERM MOVIE QUIZ
- Observations on film art > The Rhapsodes return
- IFC Fix: Get Yours > 10 Hilarious Web Series Featuring SNL Talent
- Slate Articles > The Cab Ride as Artistic Rebellion
- Cinema Styles > Why Did I Start This Up Again?