Twitter Review: The Strangers
6 Feb 2009
‘The Strangers’ - Expert, brutal, pointless, and a good student of its elders. 77 minutes, and 70 pass before the creeps commit bodily harm.
Permanent link: http://www.culturesnob.net/2009/02/tweet-1185547854/
Previous entry: Box Office Power Rankings: January 30-February 1, 2009.
Next entry: How Sure Is the Sure Thing?.
Bookmark and share this entry.
In 2010, at the age of 67, Roger Ebert reviewed The Human Centipede (First Sequence) — a horror flick that seems to exist primarily to make viewers vomit. As a professional movie critic for more than four decades, Ebert could...
Depending on how you choose to count, there are either three or four Batman resurrections in The Dark Knight Rises. Superheroes — and especially Superman — have long been seen as Christ figures, and from its title to its returns...
Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises is an incredibly ballsy movie. I don’t mean its scope and ambition, both of which are indeed impressive. I mean the audacity of choices that could have easily backfired: following Heath Ledger’s nuanced, razor-sharp...
How about a magic trick? I previously pulled off David Copperfield-scale wizardry by turning Robert Zemeckis’ bloated, 150-minute Contact into a lean, 53-minute masterpiece. (Yes, that’s hubris. Have you missed me?) This, admittedly, is a more modest feat — something...
My essay on David Cronenberg’s adaptation of Naked Lunch is now up at Edward Copeland on Film. I’ll post it here in a few days.
Latest Twitter Review
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
- Blog > Coming Soon to “Best Shot”
- The Audient > Don’t go changin’
- The Film Doctor > real-time links
- my new plaid pants > You Are Getting Very Very Sleepy
- The Daily Notebook > Movie Poster of the Week: Movie Marquees
- The Seventh Art > Bombay Blues
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > ‘Orphan Black’ co-creator on season 3: ‘Our sisters are teamed up a little bit more’
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > FLOATING ON THE OCEAN OF HELENA LEE
- IFC Fix: Get Yours > The Star Wars Trailer Is Here to Halt Your Workday
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > True Detective: the viewing diary
- Burbanked > (original image via gameraboy)
- Observations on film art > Local Boy Makes Very, Very Good: Welles comes home
- The Projectionist > Phrosties Might Not Get You As Phucked Up As You Think. This Is What’s Really Inside.
- Chicago Ex-Patriate > “Mythos:” WhiskeyPaper Story of the Week
- Notebook on Cities and Culture > A Year in Seattle Preview: The Young Cynic with Peter Bagge
- Slate Articles > About Last Knights
- Moon In The Gutter > ART DECADES Issue 3 Featuring MARIA MCKEE (Pre-Order Special)