Twitter Review: JCVD
29 May 2009
‘JCVD’ - Not as smart as it thinks it is, but still potent. Van Damme effectively exploits his irrelevance for laughs & pathos. Too stylized
Permanent link: http://www.culturesnob.net/2009/05/tweet-1968575127/
Previous entry: Box Office Power Rankings: May 1-25, 2009.
Next entry: Twitter Review: Star Trek (2009).
Bookmark and share this entry.
In 2010, at the age of 67, Roger Ebert reviewed The Human Centipede (First Sequence) — a horror flick that seems to exist primarily to make viewers vomit. As a professional movie critic for more than four decades, Ebert could...
Depending on how you choose to count, there are either three or four Batman resurrections in The Dark Knight Rises. Superheroes — and especially Superman — have long been seen as Christ figures, and from its title to its returns...
Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises is an incredibly ballsy movie. I don’t mean its scope and ambition, both of which are indeed impressive. I mean the audacity of choices that could have easily backfired: following Heath Ledger’s nuanced, razor-sharp...
How about a magic trick? I previously pulled off David Copperfield-scale wizardry by turning Robert Zemeckis’ bloated, 150-minute Contact into a lean, 53-minute masterpiece. (Yes, that’s hubris. Have you missed me?) This, admittedly, is a more modest feat — something...
My essay on David Cronenberg’s adaptation of Naked Lunch is now up at Edward Copeland on Film. I’ll post it here in a few days.
Latest Twitter Review
- Hello! cialis , cheap viagra , viagra , cialis , buy cialis ,
- Hello! cialis canada , generic viagra , viagra , tadalafil , buy cialis ,
- Hello! canadian cialis , generic viagra , viagra , generic cialis , buy cialis ,
- Hello! cheap canadian viagra , cheap canadian cialis , generic viagra price , generic cialis price ,
- Hello! canadian viagra , canadian cialis , generic viagra price , generic cialis price ,
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
- Blog > A Year with Kate: The Iron Petticoat (1956)
- my new plaid pants > This Is My Sophie’s Choice
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > Review: WGN takes a big step forward with its ‘Manhattan’ project
- The Audient > Iconic movies directed by nobodies
- Burbanked > (original GIF via mickey-mouse-club: randar)
- The Daily Notebook > TIFF 2014. Official Lineup
- Notebook on Cities and Culture > S4E47: Waking Up in the Unknown with Jim Benning
- IFC Fix: Get Yours > This Week on Maron: Marc Accidentally Steals a Joke
- Slate Articles > We Are the Best!
- Observations on film art > MOONRISE KINGDOM: Wes in Wonderland
- The Film Doctor > patriarchal lie links
- The Bleeding Tree > Rise of the dawn
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > SMALL MIRACLES: LAND HO! (2014)
- The Projectionist > Edelstein: The Oscars Have Thrown Me a (Winter’s) Bone
- The Seventh Art > Hawks/Ford
- Chicago Ex-Patriate > “Artists in Residence” in Pithead Chapel
- Filmsquish.com - Reviews, Editorials & Insight On Film > Fight Club (1999)