‘Invention of Lying’ has a simple, resonant premise but is made without rigor. Only intermittent ingenuity saves it from offensive laziness.
March 2010 Archives
Like Selick’s other animations, ‘Coraline’ is merely weird. While imaginative, meticulous, and thematically rich, it’s dull and oddly inert.
Regardless of which film takes home Best Picture on Sunday night, the Academy Awards finally got it right.
I don’t mean that the best movie of 2009 will have won, even if one only considers the 10 nominees. Rather, the Oscars have chosen a sound voting system — an instant-runoff election — that nearly guarantees that every ballot will help determine whether Avatar or The Hurt Locker nabs the prize.
Latest Twitter Review
- Hello! viagra , cialis , viagra pills , cialis pills ,
- Hello! cheap viagra , cialis cheap overseas , cheap viagra , cialis cheap overseas ,
- Hello! http://viagra33sideeffects.com/ , http://cialis33sideeffects.com/ , http://pills3ofviagra.com/ , http://pills3ofcialis.com/ ,
- Hello! viagra side effects , cialis side effects , pills of viagra , pills of cialis ,
- Hello! http://viagra3cheap.com/ , http://cialis3cheap.com/ , http://viagra3discount.com/ , http://cialis3discount.com/ ,
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > Season finale review: ‘The Walking Dead’ - ‘Conquer’: Wolves at the door?
- Blog > Film Bitch Awards ~The Medals Ceremony
- The Audient > Meeting my fans
- Observations on film art > Pixels into print: The unexpected virtues of long-winded blogging
- my new plaid pants > I Don’t Know
- Burbanked > Photo
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > ALL-NEW FEAR OF THE VELVET CURTAIN: TCM FEST 2015 GO “BOOM!”
- Slate Articles > Noah Baumbach’s Golden Years
- The Daily Notebook > Harvard at the Gulbenkian. Cinema Dialogues 5.2
- IFC Fix: Get Yours > Hush Up! The 10 Best Silent Partners in Movies
- Moon In The Gutter > ART DECADES Issue 3 Featuring MARIA MCKEE (Pre-Order Special)
- The Film Doctor > Atrocity montage: a review of Nightcrawler
- Notebook on Cities and Culture > Korea Tour: Opting for Korea with Brother Anthony
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > The Last Stage
- The Bleeding Tree > Remix, remake, rethink, redo
- The Projectionist > Edelstein: The Oscars Have Thrown Me a (Winter’s) Bone
- Only the Cinema > New Home