‘Invention of Lying’ has a simple, resonant premise but is made without rigor. Only intermittent ingenuity saves it from offensive laziness.
March 2010 Archives
Like Selick’s other animations, ‘Coraline’ is merely weird. While imaginative, meticulous, and thematically rich, it’s dull and oddly inert.
Regardless of which film takes home Best Picture on Sunday night, the Academy Awards finally got it right.
I don’t mean that the best movie of 2009 will have won, even if one only considers the 10 nominees. Rather, the Oscars have chosen a sound voting system — an instant-runoff election — that nearly guarantees that every ballot will help determine whether Avatar or The Hurt Locker nabs the prize.
Latest Twitter Review
- The awaited Jacob/MIB episode of ‘Lost’ was penned by series bigwigs but merely underlined already-obvious moral relativism. Gallingly dull.
> More Twitter updates
- It doesn’t matter that you don’t buy it, Solondz wasn’t selling it in the first place. Fuck meeting the audience halfway. There’s nothing wrong with...
- Awesome analysis, one of the best i have read yet.
- Hey Jeff. Awesome list of film characters. My favourite movie character is the joker from batman
- At that time frame, Majid as a young boy is seen standing by a window on the estate coughing up blood. Georges thought he had...
- It’s years later and I’ve seen this film thrice. It’s nothing short of brilliant and much more complex and real than any film I’ve seen...
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
Latest Box Office
- IndieWire > Daniel Clowes Says He’s Forgiven Shia LaBeouf, and Donald Trump Is the Reason Why
- Blog > No mountain between them at the moment...
- The Film Doctor > Video production notes: “A body lying on the street”: Third Night by Afterglow Films
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > Thomas Eckhardt (TWIN PEAKS Character Series #65)
- Observations on film art > Oscar’s Siren song 3: A guest post by Jeff Smith
- The Daily Notebook > Gone Girls: Close-Up on “Bunny Lake Is Missing” and “Picnic At Hanging Rock”
- The Audient > Audient Anime: My Neighbor Totoro
- my new plaid pants > Sick Boys
- Slate Articles > Fifty Shades Darker