‘Invention of Lying’ has a simple, resonant premise but is made without rigor. Only intermittent ingenuity saves it from offensive laziness.
March 2010 Archives
Like Selick’s other animations, ‘Coraline’ is merely weird. While imaginative, meticulous, and thematically rich, it’s dull and oddly inert.
Regardless of which film takes home Best Picture on Sunday night, the Academy Awards finally got it right.
I don’t mean that the best movie of 2009 will have won, even if one only considers the 10 nominees. Rather, the Oscars have chosen a sound voting system — an instant-runoff election — that nearly guarantees that every ballot will help determine whether Avatar or The Hurt Locker nabs the prize.
Latest Twitter Review
- The awaited Jacob/MIB episode of ‘Lost’ was penned by series bigwigs but merely underlined already-obvious moral relativism. Gallingly dull.
> More Twitter updates
- Awesome analysis, one of the best i have read yet.
- Hey Jeff. Awesome list of film characters. My favourite movie character is the joker from batman
- At that time frame, Majid as a young boy is seen standing by a window on the estate coughing up blood. Georges thought he had...
- It’s years later and I’ve seen this film thrice. It’s nothing short of brilliant and much more complex and real than any film I’ve seen...
- While Cache certainly has layers regarding how people react to paranoia and guilt and one cannot help but wonder what the connection at the end...
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
Latest Box Office
- IndieWire > IDA Awards 2016: ‘O.J.: Made in America’ Tops a Netflix-Heavy Winners List
- Blog > 75th Anniversary: The Wolf Man
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > December status update: where we’ve been, where we’re going (+ my call to the Ben Dixon show)
- my new plaid pants > La La I Can’t Hear You
- Slate Articles > La La Land
- The Audient > Hateful Eight hectoring
- The Daily Notebook > The Best Movie Posters of 2016
- Observations on film art > Some things not yet spilled on the blog
- The Bleeding Tree > Social media update
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > FRETLESS: JACO (2015)