‘Invention of Lying’ has a simple, resonant premise but is made without rigor. Only intermittent ingenuity saves it from offensive laziness.
March 2010 Archives
Like Selick’s other animations, ‘Coraline’ is merely weird. While imaginative, meticulous, and thematically rich, it’s dull and oddly inert.
Regardless of which film takes home Best Picture on Sunday night, the Academy Awards finally got it right.
I don’t mean that the best movie of 2009 will have won, even if one only considers the 10 nominees. Rather, the Oscars have chosen a sound voting system — an instant-runoff election — that nearly guarantees that every ballot will help determine whether Avatar or The Hurt Locker nabs the prize.
Latest Twitter Review
- ‘(500) Days of Summer’ has a good hook and nails relationship details, but it’s too cute and frustratingly undisciplined and self-satisfied.
> More Twitter updates
- I enjoyed reading your own interpretation of Spider forest. Some observations: Near the beginning, there was a scene with the main protagonist and his partner...
- Yes. One is due to be released this summer .
- are they still making albums?
- Thanks for sharing wonderful information, it is really nice information.
- I like your information which is very useful for me. Thanks.
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
- Blog > Happy Easter. The Ten Greatest Bunnies in Cinematic History
- Filmsquish.com - Reviews, Editorials & Insight On Film > Ox-Bow Incident, The (1943), Or 28 Angry Men
- my new plaid pants > Happy Easter
- The Film Doctor > real enemy links
- Notebook on Cities and Culture > S4E31: Is This London? with Iain Sinclair
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > Review: ‘Hannibal’ - ‘Su-Zakana’
- The Audient > Return of the project post
- Slate Articles > High Maintenance
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > TCMFF 2014: MATTERS OF LIFE AND DEATH
- Burbanked > (original image via joshuafountain)
- The Daily Notebook > Cannes 2014. Official Competition Lineup
- Moon In The Gutter > ART DECADES (An Update)
- IFC Fix: Get Yours > The Citizens of Portlandia: Ellen Bloodworth
- Observations on film art > Genre ≠ Generic
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > Son of Man
- The Bleeding Tree > Ikons - Demon
- Cinema Styles > Mickey Rooney, 1920 - 2014
- GreenCine Daily > Cruise-in’ for a Bruisin’
- Chicago Ex-Patriate > “Praying Drunk” Review at Necessary Fiction; Forthcoming Fiction (!)