‘Invention of Lying’ has a simple, resonant premise but is made without rigor. Only intermittent ingenuity saves it from offensive laziness.
March 2010 Archives
Like Selick’s other animations, ‘Coraline’ is merely weird. While imaginative, meticulous, and thematically rich, it’s dull and oddly inert.
Regardless of which film takes home Best Picture on Sunday night, the Academy Awards finally got it right.
I don’t mean that the best movie of 2009 will have won, even if one only considers the 10 nominees. Rather, the Oscars have chosen a sound voting system — an instant-runoff election — that nearly guarantees that every ballot will help determine whether Avatar or The Hurt Locker nabs the prize.
Latest Twitter Review
- ‘(500) Days of Summer’ has a good hook and nails relationship details, but it’s too cute and frustratingly undisciplined and self-satisfied.
> More Twitter updates
- Yes. One is due to be released this summer .
- are they still making albums?
- Thanks for sharing wonderful information, it is really nice information.
- I like your information which is very useful for me. Thanks.
- it is good
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > YOUR COMPLETE GUIDE TO THE 2013 MURIELS
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > Talkback: ‘How I Met Your Mother’ - ‘Daisy’
- Blog > Happy 25th: Uma Thurman in a Half Shell
- my new plaid pants > Five Frames From ?
- Moon In The Gutter > ART DECADES Updates
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > The more things change...: A collage/catalog of Forrest Gump
- The Projectionist > Edelstein: The Oscars Have Thrown Me a (Winter’s) Bone
- Filmsquish.com - Reviews, Editorials & Insight On Film > Drive (2011)
- Notebook on Cities and Culture > S4E26: New Meant Better with Jonathan Meades
- Observations on film art > Somewhere it’s always GROUNDHOG DAY
- The Daily Notebook > Paul Clipson’s “REEL”
- The Audient > The lost All That Jazz review
- Burbanked > (original image via lobbycards)
- IFC Fix: Get Yours > Biggie? ODB? WTF? Fred Missed Hip Hop on Portlandia
- The Bleeding Tree > Ikons - Starchild
- Slate Articles > The Scribblin’ Samurai
- Cinema Styles > Not One of the Gabbers
- The Film Doctor > “Follow the instructions or you’ll be put to sleep”: 13 questions about The Lego Movie
- Fin de cinéma > Best of 2013: 14 Singles