‘Invention of Lying’ has a simple, resonant premise but is made without rigor. Only intermittent ingenuity saves it from offensive laziness.
March 2010 Archives
Like Selick’s other animations, ‘Coraline’ is merely weird. While imaginative, meticulous, and thematically rich, it’s dull and oddly inert.
Regardless of which film takes home Best Picture on Sunday night, the Academy Awards finally got it right.
I don’t mean that the best movie of 2009 will have won, even if one only considers the 10 nominees. Rather, the Oscars have chosen a sound voting system — an instant-runoff election — that nearly guarantees that every ballot will help determine whether Avatar or The Hurt Locker nabs the prize.
Latest Twitter Review
- The awaited Jacob/MIB episode of ‘Lost’ was penned by series bigwigs but merely underlined already-obvious moral relativism. Gallingly dull.
> More Twitter updates
- Awesome analysis, one of the best i have read yet.
- Hey Jeff. Awesome list of film characters. My favourite movie character is the joker from batman
- At that time frame, Majid as a young boy is seen standing by a window on the estate coughing up blood. Georges thought he had...
- It’s years later and I’ve seen this film thrice. It’s nothing short of brilliant and much more complex and real than any film I’ve seen...
- While Cache certainly has layers regarding how people react to paranoia and guilt and one cannot help but wonder what the connection at the end...
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
Latest Box Office
- IndieWire > ‘Gilmore Girls’: 50 Questions We Had While Watching the New Netflix Trailer
- Blog > Oscar Horrors: Flatliners (1990) Sound Editing
- The Audient > Quit “probably butchering” things
- my new plaid pants > Boyd Holbrook Two Times
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > The Favorites - The Mirror (#13)
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > Review: Sundance’s amazing ‘Rectify’ begins its final season
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > THE 27th ANNUAL LONE PINE FILM FESTIVAL: WORDS AND PICTURES
- Observations on film art > Eep, omigosh, urk, smerp, and other Archie epithets
- Slate Articles > It Looked Great. It Was Unwatchable.
- One Line Review > Tiga Suara yang Menyehatkan