‘Invention of Lying’ has a simple, resonant premise but is made without rigor. Only intermittent ingenuity saves it from offensive laziness.
March 2010 Archives
Like Selick’s other animations, ‘Coraline’ is merely weird. While imaginative, meticulous, and thematically rich, it’s dull and oddly inert.
Regardless of which film takes home Best Picture on Sunday night, the Academy Awards finally got it right.
I don’t mean that the best movie of 2009 will have won, even if one only considers the 10 nominees. Rather, the Oscars have chosen a sound voting system — an instant-runoff election — that nearly guarantees that every ballot will help determine whether Avatar or The Hurt Locker nabs the prize.
Latest Twitter Review
- The awaited Jacob/MIB episode of ‘Lost’ was penned by series bigwigs but merely underlined already-obvious moral relativism. Gallingly dull.
> More Twitter updates
- At that time frame, Majid as a young boy is seen standing by a window on the estate coughing up blood. Georges thought he had...
- It’s years later and I’ve seen this film thrice. It’s nothing short of brilliant and much more complex and real than any film I’ve seen...
- While Cache certainly has layers regarding how people react to paranoia and guilt and one cannot help but wonder what the connection at the end...
- Fan84, that isn’t his daughter in the clinic, its his wife that he is walking in with
- Pretentious garbage with a super-simple message. Boring.. Movies are supposed t be entertaining.
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
- IndieWire > ‘Gomorrah’ Exclusive Clip: Italian Crime Drama Follows Organized Crime In The Neapolitan Streets
- Blog > 1984: Year of the Heroic Farm Wife
- my new plaid pants > I’ve Got Designs on Liam Hemsworth
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > Review: Is ‘Gomorrah’ really Italy’s ‘The Wire’?
- The Audient > Ain’t them dragons saints
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > THE SLIFR GUIDE TO DRIVE-IN MOVIES PART 3: OZONERS ON THE BIG SCREEN
- Slate Articles > Morris From America
- Moon In The Gutter > A Final Audience With Lilli Carati and A Look At Reel Gore’s First Release VIOLENT SHIT
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > Voyage to Twin Peaks: an interview w/ filmmaker Scott Ryan
- Observations on film art > Is there a blog in this class? 2016
- Chicago Ex-Patriate > Chicago Flashbacks: A 2013 Interview with Ben Tanzer
- The Daily Notebook > Movie Poster of the Week: Joe Dante’s “The Howling”