About Jeff Ignatius
I am a journalist who has, at various points in my career, been published as a movie, music, and book critic (in descending order of aptitude) and has interviewed internationally renowned musicians (from David Harrington of Kronos Quartet to Kris Kristofferson to Neko Case to Dave Wyndorf of Monster Magnet) as well as authors and filmmakers of more modest repute.
I will forever be working on a book-length analysis of Paul Thomas Anderson’s Magnolia.
I was born in 1971 and married in 2001.
My wife (a damned lawyer) and I have a dog about whom Wesley Willis wrote a song from beyond the grave.
A human child was born on February 1, 2008. Bride of Culture Snob swears that I am the father.
We live in the Quad Cities, on the Illinois side of the Mississippi River.
I rabidly root for the Boston Red Sox, and — thanks to the 2004 team — am no longer waiting ’til next year. By graduation, I follow the sports teams of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. By marriage, I am a fan of the Washington Redskins.
Latest Twitter Review
- The awaited Jacob/MIB episode of ‘Lost’ was penned by series bigwigs but merely underlined already-obvious moral relativism. Gallingly dull.
> More Twitter updates
- Awesome analysis, one of the best i have read yet.
- Hey Jeff. Awesome list of film characters. My favourite movie character is the joker from batman
- At that time frame, Majid as a young boy is seen standing by a window on the estate coughing up blood. Georges thought he had...
- It’s years later and I’ve seen this film thrice. It’s nothing short of brilliant and much more complex and real than any film I’ve seen...
- While Cache certainly has layers regarding how people react to paranoia and guilt and one cannot help but wonder what the connection at the end...
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
Latest Box Office
- IndieWire > Zack Snyder Mashes Up ‘Batman v Superman’ and ‘Star Wars’ Into Fan Trailer
- my new plaid pants > Big Man in the Armie
- Blog > Exactly How Rare / Precious is “La La Land”?
- Slate Articles > The Top 10 Movies of 2016
- The Audient > A golden age of production design, and other Founder thoughts
- Observations on film art > Some things not yet spilled on the blog
- The Daily Notebook > Notebook Review: Barry Jenkins’ “Moonlight”
- The Bleeding Tree > Social media update
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > FRETLESS: JACO (2015)
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > Lost in Twin Peaks #4: speculating about season 3 w/ Twin Peaks Unwrapped