About Culture Snob
This site is where I write (and sometimes talk) about popular (and not-so-popular) culture, particularly movies, in a way that’s meaningful and satisfying to me. If you find it enjoyable or enlightening, all the better. My hope is that what’s written here will prompt readers (yes, both of you) to look at the media products they consume — words, images, sounds, and various combinations of those — in new ways.
That’s a carefully worded way of saying that I don’t consider Culture Snob to be a repository of standard reviews. Yes, many of the entries will look, smell, and taste like reviews, but I hope they offer more than that. Criticism is, before anything else, a personal reaction to a work, and good critical writing will reveal as much about the author as it does about the works discussed. I try to focus on aspects of a work that interest me and haven’t been addressed by other writers.
Content in Culture Snob will primarily fall in two categories: movies and music. (Television is grouped with movies, because they’re both motion pictures.) There are also occasional forays into books and sports, and everything else gets lumped into miscellany.
Occasionally what I write is pretty good. Feel free to browse what I consider the best of Culture Snob.
We offer feeds to which you can subscribe to stay current on Culture Snob content.
Culture Snob was founded in July 2003 and moved to its present location in February 2004.
Latest Twitter Review
- Thanks so much for this post. I actually reference it in my own piece about the topic, which can be found here: http://wordsonfilms.com/2014/06/21/and-then-there-were-frogs-lots-of-frogs-frogs-falling-from-the-sky/ Clearly,...
- Hello! cialis , cheap viagra , viagra , cialis , buy cialis ,
- Hello! cialis canada , generic viagra , viagra , tadalafil , buy cialis ,
- Hello! canadian cialis , generic viagra , viagra , generic cialis , buy cialis ,
- Hello! cheap canadian viagra , cheap canadian cialis , generic viagra price , generic cialis price ,
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
- my new plaid pants > All Aboard For Ari Picker & Co
- The Film Doctor > viral links
- Blog > 1973 Look Back: Terrence Malick’s Debut “Badlands”
- The Audient > 2 x 0 interest = 0 interest
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > ‘Hannibal’ survivors come to Comic-Con: live-blog
- Filmsquish.com - Reviews, Editorials & Insight On Film > Fargo (1996)
- Slate Articles > Überfrau
- IFC Fix: Get Yours > Zach Galifianakis and Ted Danson Rehearse A Play Based on the National’s Album for Funny Or Die
- The Daily Notebook > The Forgotten: “The Argyle Secrets” (1948)
- Burbanked > (original GIF via mickey-mouse-club: randar)
- Notebook on Cities and Culture > S4E47: Waking Up in the Unknown with Jim Benning
- Observations on film art > MOONRISE KINGDOM: Wes in Wonderland
- The Bleeding Tree > Rise of the dawn
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > SMALL MIRACLES: LAND HO! (2014)
- The Projectionist > Edelstein: The Oscars Have Thrown Me a (Winter’s) Bone
- The Seventh Art > Hawks/Ford
- Chicago Ex-Patriate > “Artists in Residence” in Pithead Chapel