About Culture Snob
This site is where I write (and sometimes talk) about popular (and not-so-popular) culture, particularly movies, in a way that’s meaningful and satisfying to me. If you find it enjoyable or enlightening, all the better. My hope is that what’s written here will prompt readers (yes, both of you) to look at the media products they consume — words, images, sounds, and various combinations of those — in new ways.
That’s a carefully worded way of saying that I don’t consider Culture Snob to be a repository of standard reviews. Yes, many of the entries will look, smell, and taste like reviews, but I hope they offer more than that. Criticism is, before anything else, a personal reaction to a work, and good critical writing will reveal as much about the author as it does about the works discussed. I try to focus on aspects of a work that interest me and haven’t been addressed by other writers.
Content in Culture Snob will primarily fall in two categories: movies and music. (Television is grouped with movies, because they’re both motion pictures.) There are also occasional forays into books and sports, and everything else gets lumped into miscellany.
Occasionally what I write is pretty good. Feel free to browse what I consider the best of Culture Snob.
We offer feeds to which you can subscribe to stay current on Culture Snob content.
Culture Snob was founded in July 2003 and moved to its present location in February 2004.
Latest Twitter Review
- The awaited Jacob/MIB episode of ‘Lost’ was penned by series bigwigs but merely underlined already-obvious moral relativism. Gallingly dull.
> More Twitter updates
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
- Blog > Thelma & Louise Pt. 5: Crossing Over
- my new plaid pants > Summer Fun is Here To Stay
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > HBO confirms long-delayed ‘Westworld’ will actually air. We hope.
- The Audient > The Americans
- One Line Review > Pernah Penasaran Apa itu Huruf ‘i’ di Semua Produk Milik Apple? Ini Dia Penjelasannya
- The Daily Notebook > The Current Debate: Is “The Lobster” Dystopia?
- The Film Doctor > hyper-reality links
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > PEEKABOO! THE MOVIES OF 2016 AT HALFTIME
- The Bleeding Tree > Blogging today
- Chicago Ex-Patriate > “The Farmacist” Review: The Collagist
- Slate Articles > Trapped in the Tower of London
- Observations on film art > Terence Davies: Sunset songs
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > Citizen Kane at 75: a new video essay series