About Culture Snob
This site is where I write (and sometimes talk) about popular (and not-so-popular) culture, particularly movies, in a way that’s meaningful and satisfying to me. If you find it enjoyable or enlightening, all the better. My hope is that what’s written here will prompt readers (yes, both of you) to look at the media products they consume — words, images, sounds, and various combinations of those — in new ways.
That’s a carefully worded way of saying that I don’t consider Culture Snob to be a repository of standard reviews. Yes, many of the entries will look, smell, and taste like reviews, but I hope they offer more than that. Criticism is, before anything else, a personal reaction to a work, and good critical writing will reveal as much about the author as it does about the works discussed. I try to focus on aspects of a work that interest me and haven’t been addressed by other writers.
Content in Culture Snob will primarily fall in two categories: movies and music. (Television is grouped with movies, because they’re both motion pictures.) There are also occasional forays into books and sports, and everything else gets lumped into miscellany.
Occasionally what I write is pretty good. Feel free to browse what I consider the best of Culture Snob.
We offer feeds to which you can subscribe to stay current on Culture Snob content.
Culture Snob was founded in July 2003 and moved to its present location in February 2004.
Latest Twitter Review
- The awaited Jacob/MIB episode of ‘Lost’ was penned by series bigwigs but merely underlined already-obvious moral relativism. Gallingly dull.
> More Twitter updates
Twitter Review: It Might Get Loud
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > ‘Strike Back’ finale review: Did Stonebridge & Scott go out in a blaze of glory?
- Blog > Hail this Teaser for “Hail, Caesar!”
- my new plaid pants > Oh And One More Thing
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > A DRESSED TO KILL FILMSTRIP
- Slate Articles > The Shark
- Lost in the Movies (formerly The Dancing Image) > The Favorites - Miraculous Virgin (#86)
- The Projectionist > Phrosties Might Not Get You As Phucked Up As You Think. This Is What’s Really Inside.
- Burbanked > Today in October’s Weird Creepy Crap.(original GIF via...
- The Audient > Audient Auscars: Tom Jones
- The Film Doctor > “Let’s do the math”: six dreams of Ridley Scott’s The Martian
- The Daily Notebook > Video Interview: “Chantal Akerman, From Here”
- IFC Fix: Get Yours > Amy Poehler, Kids in the Hall and More Are Heading to Tenacious D’s Festival Supreme 2015
- Observations on film art > The Rhapsodes return
- Cinema Styles > Why Did I Start This Up Again?