- Jun 16 2010Follow the Character1
- Dec 28 2009Tweet!0
- Oct 2 2009Agonizing Anticipation0
- Sep 16 2009Say Hello to My Little Stranger — Sarah Walters, The Little Stranger (2009)0
- Oct 31 2008Thomson Twinge2
- Oct 28 2008Alive, Kicking, and Delivering Just Desserts0
- Sep 15 2008Words to Live by0
- Sep 15 2008On David Foster Wallace1
- Aug 27 2008The Psychopathic Chicken (and Other Lessons of Evolution)3
- Aug 25 2008The Private Language of Monkeys1
- Dec 26 2007Can the Left Find God?2
- Feb 9 2007RIFF: Reading Is Fucking Formidable0
- Oct 26 2006Evolved Sexuality2
- Sep 20 2006Cock Tale — Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story (2006)0
- Sep 15 2006Demon Dog Dump0
- Apr 5 2006Uncovering Iron John0
- Nov 30 2005Building a Film-Book Library0
- Oct 11 2005War Without End0
- Jan 26 2005Pity the Rich Genius0
- Jun 29 2004Critiquing Critics0
- May 12 2004When Movies Mattered0
- Mar 19 2004Auster and Stone Reader0
- Feb 2 2004Why Music Matters0
- Sep 24 2003Paul Auster's Locked Room2
- Jul 17 2003Two Holes in One — Holes, novel (1998) and movie (2003)1
- Jul 15 2003Has Michael Lewis Struck Out? — Michael Lewis, Moneyball (2003)0
In 2010, at the age of 67, Roger Ebert reviewed The Human Centipede (First Sequence) — a horror flick that seems to exist primarily to make viewers vomit. As a professional movie critic for more than four decades, Ebert could...
Depending on how you choose to count, there are either three or four Batman resurrections in The Dark Knight Rises. Superheroes — and especially Superman — have long been seen as Christ figures, and from its title to its returns...
Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises is an incredibly ballsy movie. I don’t mean its scope and ambition, both of which are indeed impressive. I mean the audacity of choices that could have easily backfired: following Heath Ledger’s nuanced, razor-sharp...
How about a magic trick? I previously pulled off David Copperfield-scale wizardry by turning Robert Zemeckis’ bloated, 150-minute Contact into a lean, 53-minute masterpiece. (Yes, that’s hubris. Have you missed me?) This, admittedly, is a more modest feat — something...
My essay on David Cronenberg’s adaptation of Naked Lunch is now up at Edward Copeland on Film. I’ll post it here in a few days.
Latest Twitter Review
- The awaited Jacob/MIB episode of ‘Lost’ was penned by series bigwigs but merely underlined already-obvious moral relativism. Gallingly dull.
> More Twitter updates
- At that time frame, Majid as a young boy is seen standing by a window on the estate coughing up blood. Georges thought he had...
- It’s years later and I’ve seen this film thrice. It’s nothing short of brilliant and much more complex and real than any film I’ve seen...
- While Cache certainly has layers regarding how people react to paranoia and guilt and one cannot help but wonder what the connection at the end...
- Fan84, that isn’t his daughter in the clinic, its his wife that he is walking in with
- Pretentious garbage with a super-simple message. Boring.. Movies are supposed t be entertaining.
Recent Audio Content
- Vic Chesnutt: A Quest for Joy (an interview)
- Chris Thile of Punch Brothers: A Big Arrow (an interview)
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson: The Psychopathic Chicken (an interview)
- Philip Dickey of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: I Will Make You Like Me (an interview)
- Jim Eno of Spoon: Rough-Edged Perfection (an interview)
- > Full list of audio content
- The Audient > A bad month for dinner parties
- IndieWire > ‘Sully’ Trailer: Tom Hanks & Clint Eastwood Bring Heroic Tale To Thrilling Cinematic Life
- Blog > Welcome to the Academy, 683 of You!
- my new plaid pants > Armie’s Endless Summer
- Latest Posts from What’s Alan Watching on Hitfix > Jessica Jones’ creator on the biggest change from comics to her Netflix show
- Observations on film art > Manhattan wrapup: RHAPSODES and more
- The Film Doctor > “No one cares about reality anymore”: 9 notes on Terrence Malick’s Knight of Cups
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule > EAT THAT QUESTION: FRANK ZAPPA IN HIS OWN WORDS
- One Line Review > Fakta Unik Tentang Tidur
- Slate Articles > Independence Day: Resurgence